Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Stupid Light

I have a class, Shakespeare: The Later Plays, that gets out at 18:45. Usually, that's not a big deal. I get out of class, and then get to walk home in the cool evening air with the sun casually moving closer to the horizon. It's actually one of my favourite classes to get out of, regardless of the fact that it is my least favourite class to actually attend.

So, Monday started off like any normal Monday. I went to class, sat in Shakespeare and fought that incredible urge to take a nap while my monotoned professor droned on about how someone did something to someone to prove something to someone else. Then, class ended, and I walked up the stairs and out into... darkness.

I stood there for several seconds, blocking the door, and silently mouthed the words "what the fuck?" to myself. After several shoves, I walked out into the pitch-black night of early winter, marveling at how in five days, my walk home had gone from a bright and sunny experience, to one of total darkness.

I whipped out my phone and made a couple phone calls. No one answerred. It was at this moment, enveloped in total darkness, that I began wondering exactly the same thing that you are most likely wondering right now: "Did the sun explode while I was learning, and everyone on the planet's surface was killed?"

No.

But it was a scary thought. Apparently, daylight savings had happened, and all my clocks had simply readjusted themselves without informing me. Thanks, technology. It's a shame really. I was sort of excited about the end of the world.

No comments: