Monday, October 26, 2009

SCREEEEECH

It's raining again today. Last time it rained in San Antonio, the forces that brought it on decided to turn it into a hurricane as I were halfway through walking to my car. Needless to say, all my books in my backpack were ruined. Thanks again, God.

Let me take a second to address a side-note. I still don't believe in God. I don't believe in fate. However, when shit just keeps going wrong, it's easier to have someone to hate. Blame is the best way of dealing with what feels like a constant stream of diarrhea. So, in summary, no I don't believe in God, but I'm damn well going to blame him because you do believe in him, and if you believe he's responsible for the goings on of the world, then guess what. This is all your God's fault.

Back to the point, it's raining again today. Rain in San Antonio is a funny thing. It's like ice in a place that only freezes for a few weeks of the year. When it starts raining in San Antonio, everyone begins acting like chickens with their heads recently cut off; they run round and round until eventually they drop.

So, I was driving to school in the rain. Unlike the rest of the city, I am not that bad at driving in the rain. It's pretty easy if you plan to aquaplane. It's also pretty easy if you plan for other people to do the same. San Antonian's don't plan for either of those things. They continue doing 70 on the freeway, the continue to wait for the last second to break, and they continue to drive while texting and talking on their cell phones.

I pull onto the freeway about 10 mph under the speed limit, just in case of hidden puddles, with some guy about 6 inches from my rear bumper. I can see his face, through rain soaked windows, as he gets angrier and angrier that I'm not doing the posted 70mph which he feels is essential in a downpour. As soon as we get onto the freeway and off the on-ramp, he guns it and whips into the lane next to me.

This is where I laughed. I knew exactly what was about to happen, because unlike him, I'm not stupid. With the rapid acceleration, the changing of lanes, and the abrupt motion of both his actions, his wheels spun beneath him, his car lost its grip on the road, and over he went into the next lane. With all the intelligence of a moron, he slammed on his breaks, something you should never do when skidding because you just increase the friction of the tires and keep on going as you were. In his case, he kept changing lanes. Unfortunately for him, the next lane was grass. Off the road he went in his Ford truck, straight into the grass. But he still didn't stop. He kept going left, into the grass, further and further until the sound of metal on cement echoed across the freeway as he slammed straight into the cement blockers separating the two directions of traffic.

It's funny to me, when people don't think before they act. It's even more funny to me when they get punished for it.

No comments: