Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Previous Argument

This whole omnipotence argument has raised a lot of questions from a lot of people. Surprisingly, more people have come back to me and said "you're wrong" than "you're right". I thought by now you would know this people: I'm always right. This is my world, my creation, and my house. How dare you come into my house and tell me I'm wrong! On this blog, I am omnipotent. Deal with it.

That's not entirely true. I do like contradiction, and if you really can prove me wrong, I would love to hear it. If it's a compelling argument, I will even recant my previous argument regarding omnipotence, however, I think you're going to have some problems doing that. Let me explain why.

I think those of you who are shaking their heads negatively at me are not reading the bolded words on the previous post. Let me redefine omnipotence for you:

Omnipotent
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.

That's the dictionary definition of omnipotent. Universal power. All-powerful. Therefor, it doesn't matter what you say about the situation, what you try to do, this being could change it. It has the power to do absolutely anything, be it conceivable or not. You don't have to be able to understand how or why, you just have to understand the definition. There is no end to what an omnipotent being could do, because it can do anything. Therefor, no matter what you throw at me, no matter how much you try to convince me that it could never be, the simple definition of omnipotence slaps you in the face. In some sense, you're right. You can very well convince me, or stop me or even God from changing math. But when it comes to an omnipotent being, then sadly, there is absolutely nothing he can't do.

Nothing.

Throw all the proofs, theorems, equations, and arguments at me that you want. Defeat me if you can. But never will you be able to say that an omnipotent being can't do something, because it can do anything.

Which leads me to my next question: could two omnipotent beings exist simultaneously? If the being is all-knowing and all-powerful, then it would exist everywhere at once and be capable of thinking absolutely everything at the same time. If two beings existed everywhere at once thinking everything at the same time, would they not be just one being? If they think the same, act the same, exist in the same place, are we sure there's even two, or is it still just one?

I stand by my statement with which I opened up the previous post: Omnipotence is very, very, very interesting

No comments: