Tuesday, August 12, 2008

San Antonio's Number One

It rained here today. For those who are avid readers, you know that to me, that's a wonderful thing. I love the rain entirely, with absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Yet, with all things perfect, people always try to find a way to ruin it. Especially in good old San Antonio.

The truth is that San Antonio is statistically the most dangerous place in America to own a car. Everywhere else I've lived, I have probably seen about two or three accidents a year. All those times, I had never once actually see someone hit another person. In the three years I have lived in San Antonio, I have seen over several hundred. To put it simply, if there is a rainstorm and I haven't seen at least three separate collisions by the time I have reached my destination, I consider it a safe day.

Today, during a drive that lasted me seven minutes, I saw six. Ironically, I actually saw two of them happen. It is in times like that that I truly know just how stupid some people are. Both of those accidents could have been avoided if the drivers would just drive like intelligent people. The sad thing is that people simply aren't intelligent. Both of the accidents happened the same way. Two cars were speeding off into the rain doing about 75mph down the two-lane freeway that takes me to school. The rain was too thick, there was too much on the road, and as the car started driving up the hill where the thickest layer of moving water was concentrated, he hydroplaned and drove straight off into another car. The best part, right after accident one happened, the car behind him saw it happen, swerved around, and got into accident two right at the bottom of the next hill.

San Antonio drivers are just terrible.

No comments: