Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fallen Foe

We all have had, at some point in our lives, one person that we simply cannot get along with. Our bitter distaste towards this specific individual would grow within us with every passing second, and during moments that you and this person were forced to spend time together, you could find absolutely nothing about them you liked. As time passed, the person became less of an annoyance and more of a counterpoint to yourself. Everything they were, you weren't. You built a relationship around these emotions, until in the end, you had walled yourself off completely from this individual, rendering the two of you utter enemies.

What would you say to this person if they died?

I will not tell you if this is hypothetical, or entirely based on real events. Instead, I will tell you what I would say, if I were to ever have a chance to talk to this person again. I will call him... "John".

John. I am not telling you any of this because I like you. If anything, it's for the complete opposite reason. It's strange, having lost a person in my life with whom I have so long despised. I've lost friends before- not close ones, but friends. It hurts. I never once imagined that it would feel worse to lose someone I hated. I tell you this here because I'm being realistic. I probably will never come and visit your grave, nor will I ever tell your parents I'm sorry. But I will tell you this: The line between hate and love is so fine that it's almost invisible. I hated you every single day of your life, as you hated me. And now, none of that really matters. I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, you kept me pointed in the direction of who I wanted to be. I would very often think "would John do this?" and if you would, then I would not. I don't really want to admit this, but in many ways, I feel I must. I miss you. Like love, hate requires a lot of work, and to all of a sudden have it taken away from me; it's not a pleasant feeling. So, I miss you, and though throughout your entire life I hated you, I can safely admit that at the same time, I loved you. You were the worst of friends, and I can never thank you enough for that. Rest in peace, my most hated of enemies. Rest in peace, my friend.

Now it's your turn. What would you say?

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

I'd say "come back, James. I wasn't through with you."