Friday, October 26, 2007

Indicating is the Key

I was recently discussing with a friend the terrible drivers that seem to spawn on all the roads where I live. As credit to this source, and because it will make him happy, I would like to give you his first name: Andrew. See, Andrew and I were discussing the inability of people to signal before they change lanes. It seems to be a growing epidemic as more and more people are consumed by this inability to flip their indicator into whichever direction they are turning.

This lead to the following conversation:

Andrew: So have I told you my theory on how to stop the War in Iraq?

James: No, I don't believe so.

Andrew: Well, you're in for a treat. See, it all comes down to turn signals-

James: OK...

Andrew: See, signaling is a pre-warning sign of your future actions. It lets people know exactly what you are going to do so you can prepare for it. It's a matter of common courtesy, and we do it not because it makes our driving experience easier, but the driving experiences of others. See, if we were all to signal, it would mean that we cared about other people, and realized that our actions influenced all of those around us. If we realized that our actions influences other people, then we would be listening to popular demand instead of caring so much about our ego's, and we wouldn't be in Iraq.

James: Andrew... that's so stupid it's almost genius.

Andrew: Thank you.

Pretty clever, huh? I know, I like to surround myself with people who give me something to think about. This clearly did its job, and now I'm sharing it with you. Now, if only there was a way to make people signal...


Oh, don't forget to check out this months short: http://mitchenerchronicles.blogspot.com

No comments: