Sunday, October 14, 2007

Real Conversation

No joke, this was a real conversation between two people I am happy to say I don't know. Well, one of them I would be sort-of happy to know, the other, not so much. You see, it's people like this that make me wonder what is going on with the education system today. We can apparently teach people how to build a building, how to write a novel, how to paint a picture, and how to manage the business world; but when it comes to basic things like common sense, people are still clueless.

This was how it happened:

I was in American Literature 1, a class I have very little respect for seeing as almost no one wrote anything down in early America. My professor was running around up front jotting down notes here and there, and in the middle of writing a long word, he stopped, switched the chalk from his right hand to his left, paused a little longer, and finished the word. Then he turned around and said "I'm sorry about the pauses. Being ambidextrous and dyslexic at the same time can be quite a pain."

After class, I was walking down the hall behind two girls. One of them was catting away casually and the other looked quite concerned. The chatty one apparently didn't notice. After a while, this conversation unfolded.

Concerned Girl: So... Ambidextrous... I didn't know they let people teach like that?

Chatty Girl: [long pause]. What do you think "ambidextrous" means?

Concerned Girl: Well, it's when your body is inhabited by two souls, isn't it? A good one and a bad one? And the bad one occasionally takes over and the good one can't do anything to stop it...

Chatty Girl: [longer pause, followed by sarcastic response]. Yea, that's right. I was worried you were getting it confused.

END.

I don't really have anything further to day. The jokes pretty much write themselves.

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

Wow, that is perhaps the best blog you've ever posted.

How is it that you didn't ask the Chatty Girl for her number?