Saturday, October 6, 2007

Heaven Reads No Vacancies (Part 1)

There are a lot of problems I have with the idea of heaven as it is depicted in most forms of religious text. The core of religion seems very intent on disagreeing with new scientific discoveries. It has happened for years, from the point people started saying the world was round, all the way up until now when we are saying that there are other dimensions beyond our own. Religion and science just can't seem to get along. So, for the next couple (perhaps several) blogs, I will be basing my arguments on heaven around what religion tells us, and how it doesn't quite make sense from my perspective. And as you all know, my perspective is always, always, right.

So let's get started! First thing I would like to point out are the numbers. There are a lot of dead people. Lots. We're talking roughly 110 billion people from the dawn of time until now. That's a lot of people. Of course, heaven is certainly not filled with all these people. Almost every religion has some form of eternal damnation, and I think it's safe to assume that of those 110 billion people, less than 30% have made it into heaven. I say 30% for several reasons. First off, there is no religion existing today that existed at the dawn of time. For that reason, we can knock quite a few people out of heaven for simple ignorance; religion likes to punish ignorance. 30% is also a bit generous if you look at how many different religions there are in the world. I'm assuming that several of these religions will come together and share heaven, or else we'll be looking at 2% instead of 30%, which for the sake of my argument, is a bit depressing.

Assuming then that 30% of the human population ever to have passed through Earth is now up in heaven, we're looking at a nice round figure of about 33,000,000,000. That's a lot of people for a place with absolutely no economy, no business structure, no form of mass market, and absolutely nothing to supply individuals with what they need and want beyond "God's Will". Now, I know God is supposed to be pretty amazing, but can he really cater to the needs of 33 billion spirits, keep the angels (using the word angel loosely to describe all of God's assistants in all religions), AND watch all the goings on of Earth to ensure his investment in humanity continues to take that tragic turn towards self destruction? To be frank, I have my doubts.

Really, the point I'm trying to make here is this: If there is a heaven anything like the religious texts offer, there's probably a shortage of seating by now.

No comments: