Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pro-Clone

In very recent years, there has been a lot of talk about the cloning process. Discussion is geared mainly towards what is appropriate, and what isn't. For example, it's acceptable to clone organs, but is it alright to clone an entire person? Are we allowed to make duplicates of an individual using base cells, or is this overstepping our moral boundaries? Where is the line drawn in what is acceptable, and what isn't?

I think it all comes down to the person or persons involved. Right now, cloning has its limits. For example, we can clone an exact genetic replica of someone, but we certainly can't give them all the memories that their clone parent has. They will look the same, but the process of life will shape them differently. Basically, you'd just have a look-alike. I'm cool with that. In fact, I'd be willing to submit myself to be cloned in this situation. Other people may not agree.

Where the button really begins to be pushed, however, is in the events of the future. What happens when we can clone an exact genetic replica of someone, and then input all the memories of the genetic parent? You would have two of exactly the same person walking around, shaped by exactly the same events, only living separate lives form the point after the duplicate was made. For me, this is a no brainier. Clone me! I am a little biased, given my position on the matter, but I believe several James' wandering around the planet is only going to make the place better. Think of everything I could do that I wouldn't be able to do alone!

For example, I could travel the world my entire life, AND raise a family while never moving. I could kill myself, and have it not be considered suicide, but murder. I could go tandem sky diving, alone! I could eat a portion that says "feeds four" and only use my own mouth and stomach to consume it. I could even form my own football team, with only James!

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. Have I swayed your opinion yet? I hope not. I'd like to be the only multiple person on the planet. It's okay to be jealous.

No comments: