Friday, July 20, 2007

Time Travel

I have been watching all three of the Back to the Future movies over the past two days, and I must say, it has left me thinking a great deal about time travel. Now, according to our good 'ol present day genius Stephen Hawking, it is impossible to go back in time any further than the point in which the first time machine was created. I don't know why, but if he says so, I'm not going to argue. He's pretty smart, and I'd feel stupid trying even to formulate sentences around him. So, despite how much I love seeking proof, I'm going to let this one slide and just say "well that sucks."

Doesn't stop you thinking though, does it? What if we could go back in time as far as we wanted? What if you could go as far forward as you wanted? Would you do it? Would you do it still if there was no chance of ever coming back?

Personally, it would be an opportunity I simply wouldn't be able to pass up. I doubt I would ever even want to go backwards. I don't like going back. I'm one of those people who makes a decision and then takes the burdens of responsibility that goes along with it. So no, I probably wouldn't come back. I'd just skip through the ripples of time like a pebble hopping across the surface of a pond. I would touch down every several hundred years to watch the progress of mankind, check to see what we have advanced, where we have fallen. I would spend a year or two in odd locations, just as they appeared or caught my attention, but I would never stop. I would go on and on until the day I died, jumping through time and watching humanity grow. And if one day I did happen to stumble across the day that everything is destroyed, then so be it. I will die on that day, along with all others on our planet then.

But then that's me. I would love to see the world and how it changes over the next several thousand years. What about you?

No comments: