Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gorilla

I was scrolling through the news channel on my Wii today when I stumbled across an article about a gorilla escaping from his enclosure at the zoo in Rotterdam. Apparently, he injured two people on his freedom run before he was "returned to his enclosure". The details were all pretty sketchy, so I'll just tell you what I know.

1) A gorilla escaped a zoo enclosure
2) Some people got hurt
3) The gorilla is now back in its cage

The article seemed very focused on the fact that this gorilla was caught and put back. Personally, I think it missed the big picture entirely. What I want to know is this: What did the gorilla do while it was free in a zoo? It didn't try to leave, so what was its goal? What did it have in mind and what did it want to achieve?

Here are a few ideas that I think are rather plausible. It wanted a soda. It wanted to visit its cousins in the orangutan enclosure. It felt like claiming its rightful place as king of the jungle by beating the lion in a one-on-one battle of the fittest. Or, perhaps it just wanted to stretch its legs.

What do you think it wanted?

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

Personally, I'd like to see a face to face interview with the gorilla. Perhaps we could convince Barbara Walters?