Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What if?

"What if" has got to be one of the best ways to start any sentence. Stop reading for a few seconds and come up with several "what if" sentences. Go on. I'll wait.

Done? Right, now aren't you excited? I am. Let me explain why both of us, right now, feel great about our "what if" ideas.

For starters, there is no commitment to a "what if". It's just an idea, and most likely it's a crazy one at that. "What if tomorrow, they invented flying cars?" See, you and I have no control over that. I for one don't even understand the mechanics of a car that is stuck down by gravity, so I'll be the first to admit that flying cars are light years out of my league. Still, it's a nice idea isn't it; flying cars? Well, tack on the fact we have no commitment to the idea, and it becomes even better.

"What if you were a super hero?" This is reason two I like "what if" questions. Where did your mind go after reading that? Your thought web became so tangled you are probably now thinking about the ability to fly and use X-ray vision (which I believe would be useless) while saving people from burning buildings or stopping nuclear war. "What if" questions spur thinking. They make you want to imagine, and given the fact that so few people think these days, and even less use their imaginations, "what ifs" are very important.

I think they should be part of the education system. Young people need to think, and we aren't doing enough about it. I doubt this will happen, so I'll settle if you just pay it forward.

What "what if" questions stimulated your thinking today?

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

What if James' head were to explode?
What if I found a hamster in my toilet?
What if monkeys could cook?
What if I were a monkey that cooked hamsters in toilets? Would that make James' head explode?