Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ex patriot

As a person who has lived all over the world, I have been confronted with the term "ex patriot" on a semi regular basis. Honestly, I don't like it. It seems... demeaning.

I am still a patriot. Just because I don't live in England, nor do I plan on living there again any time soon, it doesn't mean I don't love my country. I am incredibly patriotic. I have St. George flying in my room, stuck to the back of my car, and on a hat I wear almost every day. I also fly the Union Jack on bank holidays.

Also, the term "Alien" annoys me. As I grew up, I came to relate the term to creatures from another planet. When I first saw the word on a government form, I was confused. I'm not an alien. So, I moved here from another country. Last I checked, I was still a human. Granted, being a Martian would be pretty neat, but still, I'm not, and I shouldn't be treated as such.

Stop discriminating against us ex patriot aliens! The new term is "foreign-born humans". Deal with it.

No comments: