Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Invented Words

The English language is wonderful. I'm not saying everyone should learn it, not at all. It's good to have diversity. I'm simply stating that those who do know English are lucky. Probably luckier than most.

Why is English so great? Well, it's rather simple. I've tried my hand in a few languages in the past, and I must say, English is the only one so far that I have been able to come up with convincing words that simply aren't real. Invented Words, if you will. I call them Invenords. That was one of the very first words I invented. I don't keep track of all of them, mainly because I'm inventing new words every day, but I do write down the odd outstanding one. Let me share them with you.

Barajingle: The act of being better than everyone else at humming any song shorter than 15 seconds in length
Firnally: When one is of equal strength to a "furn"
Biatrivilous: The inability to side one way or the other on frivolous decisions
Jamiruper: Better than perfect

See, it's fun. Anyone can do it. All you need is a semi-firm understanding of how the English language works, and then a semi-decent imagination. If you have both of those, or really just either, you can pull this off. You don't even need to be smarter than other people when you do it. In fact, it's usually better if you aren't. That way the people who you aren't smarter than will be angry they didn't know a word you do, and BANG!; it's part of their vocabulary.

It's fun to mess with people. Try it. Invent some words.

No comments: