Saturday, May 12, 2007

Immortality

If someone came up to you and said, "I have with me the key to immortality, and I want you to have it. If you drink this vile, your body will return to its peak physical condition. Every cell in your body will remain strong, and you will never be susceptible to viral infections or diseases. You will, however, be able to be stopped by a bullet, a bomb, a car crash, a fall, or any other method that is not of natural origin. You will still be able to die." Would you take it?

I ask this question because I think it's important for people to think about these things before they come to pass. I for one already know my answer. I didn't even really think about it to be honest, because to me, it all seems pretty straight forward. Here's what I would do:

Yes. Yes, a thousand times, yes. In fact, the poor man handing me the vile would be in great danger of getting hurt- perhaps losing a finger in my extremely rapid grabbing motion. Why would I say yes, you ask? Well, let me tell you. This would give me the chance to see the world grow. To be there when we rise to greatness, and to be there when we fall. After 10,000 years, I would be able to say "I was there when Ender saved us from the Formics, and I was there when Peter became the Hegemon" (thanks Orson Scott Card). I would be able to see the world change, on every single level, and that- well, it would just be incredible.

Would you drink the elixir of life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hell yes I would take it! Remember, we are going to be immortal together.

I like your writing :) Keep it up my future best seller!

TR