Friday, May 25, 2007

Satisfaction Guarantee

Ever since I was little the sales pitch "satisfaction guaranteed" has really bothered me. There are just so many things wrong with it. The biggest problem I encounter whenever I hear it is this: Who decides the level of satisfaction that I am being guaranteed, and more importantly, who gauges it? Is there some sort of satisfaction testing machine I can be hooked up to in order to prove how dissatisfied I am with the particular service or product I have received? It just seems to me like a foolish thing to offer someone, and an even more foolish thing to buy into.

I don't avoid products with satisfaction guarantee's. That would be stupid of me. Rather, I treat them as if the guarantee doesn't exist. Even if I was dissatisfied, I'd feel pretty cheap returning the item for that purpose.

Let's say I recently purchased a DVD of some sort with a satisfaction guarantee. I watch it several times and decide I am not happy. I take it in and say "No, the DVD is fine, I just wasn't satisfied with the quality of acting." If I was stupid enough to buy the Movie in the first place without looking into what it was I was purchasing, I think I should be responsible for my mistake.

That's not all that bothers me. I get the feeling that by posting "satisfaction guaranteed" on an item, the company is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of people out there just waiting for a chance to get something for nothing. If they can get their money back just by saying "I didn't like it," don't you think they'll do it? Besides, that's lying, and liars are terrible people.

What if someone were to say their blog was satisfaction guaranteed. It's a free service, so what would they lose if someone is dissatisfied. See, it's foolish isn't it. There would be no negative repercussions to posting that on a free service, and yet people do!

On a final note: This post and all others by this author are Satisfaction Guaranteed. Enjoy.

No comments: