Friday, June 1, 2007

1 New Voicemail

I love mobile phones. Everything about them, from convenience to brain tumors, only strengthens my unyielding love towards them. I don't even have a home phone anymore. In fact, I haven't had a house phone for almost seven years. What's the point? A mobile is my home phone, and seeing as I spend so little time at my place of residence, it seems rather pointless to pay fifty dollars extra a month for a phone I'll never use.

Still, despite my love for mobile (or cell) phones, there is one thing that just pisses me off. Really, it's not the phone's fault, but the person who calls me. I can't stand it when I see the words "1 New Voicemail" across my home screen. Now, there are exceptions, as with every rule, but for the focal point of my argument, I hate those words and never want to see them. Very rarely does anyone have anything important enough to say to leave a voicemail. Usually, all you get is this: "Uh, yea, it's me, call me back." Do you realize how much time you just wasted making me listen to that? Do you not realize every single cell phone comes with a "1 missed call" function that tells the receiver exactly who called, when, and what number was used? I don't need you to leave me a message saying "call me back"! My phone already told me to that!

If you have something important to say, fine, leave a message, if not, let my phone do its job. I don't want it to get lazy and think it doesn't have to tell me I missed a call because you left a message. I hate lazy phones. Don't make mine become one.

No comments: