Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Avoidance

People have this odd tendency to avoid situations that will challenge them. It seems to be an epidemic. It makes sense to avoid potentially dangerous or stressful situations, but why challenging? People have the strangest of habits. The idea of avoiding a challenge makes me sad. Challenges are fun.

I shouldn't speak about avoidance so "willy-nilly". I have my moments where I simply don't want to deal with anything, and I suppose on that level, I can relate to you anti-challenge people. There is one problem, however. I don't think, even as I try to relate, I could ever just avoid challenge. In fact, the one thing I actually try to avoid on a regular basis causes the greatest challenge of all. I try to avoid myself.

It's a difficult and time consuming task, trying to avoid yourself. If you are thinking "that's stupid," you are obviously an ignorant fool, but I have a thing against ignorance and so I will walk the road of the wise and enlighten you on the truth of avoiding yourself. First, you have to get very angry at you. I do this by ignoring myself. Me hates being ignored. If I have a good idea, I immediately suppress it. I'm not even going to listen. Then, I do things I don't want to do. For example, if I'm tired, I might go for a jog. If I want to read, I might watch TV. If I'm procrastinating, I'll do some work. I tend to do this until I'm so furious I feel I'm going to explode in a blind fit of rage. Then I do it some more. By this point, I'm so pissed off at me that I just stop believing I'm part of myself. I just stop caring. The angry part drifts off into my mind, and the other part goes ahead and does whatever it wants. Then, the two halves of me, the mental and the physical, meet back up when they have cooled down, and we are friends again. But, in that gap of time when we are ignoring each other, however long it lasts, I have completely avoided myself. It's wonderful.

Give it a shot. But I warn you, you have to be a little crazy for it to work. But then, I'm a firm believer in everyone is at least a little bit crazy, and if you don't agree, then you are probably one of the most crazy of all of us.

No comments: