Sunday, June 3, 2007

Nothing

Today, I am writing about nothing. Seems strange of me, doesn't it, seeing as every other post I have written oddly points in that direction anyways. But, today, things are different. Today, I am declaring nothing before I even begin coming up with ideas. So, from the moment onwards, I am writing on the spot, deleting nothing and adding in nothing. It really is going to be about... nothing.

I don't talk to people that often about things that actually matter, and I consider the nothing that floats in my mind to be incredibly important. Therefor, I don't really talk about it that much. Still, I have noticed that my nothing is usually quite different to other people's nothing. In fact, my most recent girlfriend used to get rather frustrated with me when she asked what I did today, and I responded "nothing." To her, nothing was a waste of time. Nothing meant I did... well, I did nothing. Sadly, that was one of our greatest miscommunications. Let me explain.

My nothing involves many things that are actually something. In fact, it's so many somethings put together that it really does accomplish next to nothing, which I think is why I call it nothing. Sometimes, a something sneaks through. I credit these to anything I consider an amazing idea, usually for a book or a part of a book I'm already writing, but sometimes it's just a thought like my ideas of space (I'll share those later). But, the most important thing to note is this: my greatest ideas, the ones I act on and am proud of, sneak into my mind when I'm consciously doing nothing. I guess that's why I'm never upset with doing nothing. It's my working space.

For me, nothing is something. Ironic, I think a something leaked through all the nothing and created this post. I love the unconscious mind. It has such an attitude.

No comments: