Monday, June 25, 2007

Living the Past- Tomorrow

I have come to notice two valuable things about human nature. The first is that everyone thinks they are better looking than they really are. Yes, even those people who say "I'm hideous" when really they know they are gorgeous. They are lying. They know they are gorgeous, but don't want to admit it. The truth is that deep down they live their lives believing, though they'd never admit it, that they are actually prettier than they really are. I just feel bad for ugly people who know they are ugly. They must be hideous if they think they are ugly, and in truth, their self perception is higher than the worlds.

The other truth is that everyone seems to live, in some sense, in the past. The argument "everything that happens in our past shaped who we are today" could be applied, and so I'm throwing it out there for you right now. There, it's said. And here's where you're wrong. I'm not talking about the past in that sense. So ha! That's what you get for cutting me off before giving me a chance to explain my thoughts.

All those events that shaped us, that made us who we are; well, it seems to me that they also own us. They stop us from doing things we've done, they make us sad or happy (more the former than the latter- at least from my experiences), and they pretty much set the bar for what we can handle as an individual.

I for one have found myself looking back rather often and thinking "what if?" This is new for me, because I'm not really a "what if" kinda guy. I don't like believing things could have been better if I hadn't acted the way I did. Hindsight is 20/20, but living in the moment is blind, and I'm not going to punish myself because I didn't get corrective surgery.

No, I think we need to stop letting all the moments of our past own us. I think it's time humanity took a completely unified turn in the other direction. Let's let the events of the future control us. Given the fact we have no idea what the future holds, I think it's a good way to live. We'd be forced to operate by the moment rather than thinking back to the past. I think it would be fun. Could add an element of danger to our lives also, and hell, everyone could use a little more danger. Except lion tamers. They've got enough. Who would pick that job?!

Anyhow: Go, do it. We're starting tonight at midnight. I expect all of you to be there.

No comments: