Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lazy Sunday

I think the Bible interpreted Sunday's all wrong. Apparently, we get the day off because it is a "day of rest". I disagree.

Let's look at the big picture here. The story goes as follows: God created the universe in six days and took the seventh off to rest from his big week of creating everything. So now, Christians everywhere (and most everyone else) take Sunday off from work in order to relax. I don't think it should be on a Sunday.

God created the Universe. The Universe. Are you getting this? The Universe. Can you even get your mind around how big that thing is?! And what makes it even more insane, he made it in six freaking days! I don't even believe in the guy, but boy do I respect him for that. Just think for a second about what you can make in six days. Can you make anything even 1/1000000000000 the importance of the Universe? If you said yes, you are either very full of yourself, very stupid, or you are God. I doubt it's the latter. Here's a list of things I can do in seven days.

Write a short story, create seven blogs, read a book or two, watch seven or so hours of TV, dig a hole, pitch a tent and camp in it, go to class, learn some new information...

I'm sorry, but I'm looking this list over, and I don't see anything even remotely close to creating a Universe. I just can't bring myself to relax on Sundays with this weighing down on my mind. I mean, God can create everything, and I'm sitting here getting a quarter of the way through a course of antibiotics!

Sunday should not be a rest day. We have in no way earned it. Next time you create a Universe, you can take Sunday off, but until then- get back to work!

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

FYI: The true 7th day is Saturday. Christians changed it to Sunday because of Easter Sunday... Many religions still honor Saturday as the day of rest. Actually, that's why we have a 2 day weekend...