Monday, September 3, 2007

A.I. Part 2

Yesterday's post I talked about why we have absolutely nothing to fear from Artificial Intelligence. Today, I am going to tell you what we do have to fear from AI. Excited? I thought you might be.

AI doesn't pose a threat to our continued existence, but it does promise to disrupt the very fabric of what we consider our default lifestyles. Imagine every single electrical appliance could think for its self. It would be similar to Tivo, except worse. Imagine the toaster could tell exactly how you liked your toast, or you iPod could learn what type of songs you liked to listen to. Imagine if the microwave could cook everything to a perfect temperature or the laundry machine did its self.

Sounds pretty cool right? Wrong.

All it would take would be a little slip-up in understanding, and all of a sudden, your toaster will be burning toast. Your iPod may end up deciding you should listen to shit music instead of good music. Your washer could over wash all your cloths, shrink them, make the colours run. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want my iPod dictating what I should listen to. It's my music!!!

AI would be cool, but not in everything. Let's not overdo a good thing.

No comments: