Saturday, September 1, 2007

Being Rich

It would be fun to be Rich.

There are two things to note about that introductory paragraph. First off, the word "fun". I did not say "great", or "amazing", or even "fantastic". Just "fun". Remember that. Second, the word rich began with a capital letter even though it falls at the end of the sentence. This is because some people are rich, and others are Rich. Obviously, Rich people have a lot more money than rich people. It would be fun to be Rich. It would be fantastic to be rich.

For those of you who can't get your mind around the difference between being Rich and being rich, here are some examples of what each would do. A rich person hits his midlife crisis, goes out, buys a Ferrari. A Rich person hits his midlife crisis, goes out and buys 30 Ferrari's, 20 Hummers, and a Russian attack chopper from the Cold War. He then proceeds to hire 50 professional stunt drivers and a helicopter pilot. Once he's all set, he puts the 30 Ferrari's and the 20 Hummers in a ring and makes them team battle to the death. Every now and then, the Rich guy would fly over-top and strafe a vehicle in his attack chopper to unbalance the game.

See, so being Rich would be fun. I think there's a certain point where having so much money would get old. My brain is full of rich and crazy ideas, but I would be perfectly content sitting in a small house in the middle of Spain or the English countryside writing books and sipping on some English Breakfast tea. If I were Rich, I would probably just keep doing all that, then give away a crap load of my money until I became knighted.

If I was forced to do something counterproductive with my Richness, I would most likely fund my own space programme. I would like that, to go into space. Granted, the trip down wouldn't be very fun; I'm not a fan of the whole roller coaster ride losing your stomach feeling, but still, I've always wanted to experience zero gravity.

That's really all I have to say on the matter. What would you do if you were Rich?

1 comment:

Mike Schwirian said...

This is an interesting take. I've always understood that there are rich people and there are wealthy people. rich, you can lose in a heavy night of drinking in Vegas. Wealthy, you can't give away.